Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Music to My Ears

Over at RevGalBlogPals, some questions were asked that if answered, will tell you folks a lot about me. So here are the questions and answers:

1) Do you like to sing/listen to others sing? In worship, or on your own (or not at all?)

Yes. Just yes.

2) Did you grow up with music in worship, or come to it later in life? Tell us about it, and how that has changed in your experience.

My parents didn't have the kind of professional training that my kids have, but they are musicians just the same. They've sung in the choir my whole life, and when we came home from church, our conversations would sound more like bad opera than normal conversation. We had a piano, organ, autoharp and recorder, and as technology improved, my dad would always buy the latest recording and playback equipment.

Not much has changed in fifty years. Due to time constraints, I'm not in the choir, but I take vocal and piano lessons from our Music Minister, and I sing at times. My kids sing or play during worship, too, when asked.

3) Some people find worship incomplete without music; others would just as soon not have it. Where do you fall?

I can actually appreciate both. I'd rather have no music than bad music, meaning music that espouses a theology that's diametrically opposed to what I preach and believe. What matters most to me is the spiritual energy in the sanctuary or worship space.

4) Do you prefer traditional music in worship, or contemporary? That can mean many different things!

Yes. Handel, Bach, Jim Strathdee, and so on... Contemporary or classical, doesn't really matter. I love singing the "old favourites" just as much as I love singing contemporary hymns. It's all music to my ears.

5) What's your go-to music ... when you need solace or want to express joy? A video/recording will garner bonus points!

Here's hoping the link turns out properly...

So that's my take on worship in music. I went to a seminary where the music prof stated that the prerequisite for a Master of Divinity should be a Bachelor's degree in music. One of my kids has grown up to be a professional musician, who will be graduating with that B.Mus. in the spring. The eldest is a very talented amateur, who is presently in his first year of M.Div. studies. We have more instruments in our homes and more up-to-date recording equipment than my dad does, and the collection keeps on growing.

The beat goes on, indeed!

No comments: